CHEMEX was invented in 1941 by chemist Dr. Peter Schlumbohm. His goal was to make everyday objects more functional, attractive and pleasant to use.
When designing the CHEMEX, Schlumbohm wanted not only to make it easy to prepare the perfect cup, but also to make the bowl an object of beauty. Being a chemist, he has studied and clearly understood the chemistry behind the extraction of flavour and caffeine from coffee beans.
Let’s see how to brew coffee with the Chemex:
1. Place the tripled layered section of the filter on the spout side of the glass jar.
2. Give it a rinse through with hot water, then tip away the excess.
3. Place 30g of medium to coarse ground coffee in the filter paper.
4. Pour 50g of water into the grounds, until they’re saturated. Watch them bloom.
6. After 30 seconds, pour in 200g more water.
7. Then after 60 seconds, add 200g more.
8. Now, let it finish dripping.
9. After 3/4 minutes your coffee is ready…